PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Blake passes away
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2018, 19:04
Nigel Macknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember John Blake

Thirty-nine years ago today, John was Best Man at my wedding in Nottingham. It was a white wedding, inasmuch as it was snowing that day. I had had the pleasure of sharing commentating duties at a two-event back in 1973, the Cranfield Air Pageant, but our friendship really began in 1978, when we met again at the International Air Racing and Aerobatic Championships at Thruxton. John was commentating, while I was handling the press and PR aspects of the event.
John was, as many have said on here, wonderful company. I relied on him when I wanted to stay in the background and needed someone who was happy to be the centre of attention and keep everyone entertained. His knowledge of aviation, and air-racing in particular, simply staggered me. He was a through-and-through aviation enthusiast who just happened to be an aviation professional as well.
My career as an author and editor took me from aviation into rocketry and then on into other pastures, and John and I eventually lost contact. But on many occasions, and particularly on the anniversary of my wedding, I remember him with great admiration and affection, and a broad smile on my face.