PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 17th Mar 2018, 16:47
Livesinafield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't really look too much into the positions as recorded on that sketch from witnesses and other accounts, these can be wildly inaccurate, although they give a good idea to what was happening and a rough idea of their positions they cannot be relied on for asking "why was the approach offset and right of track" etc

The Q4 flies very good FMS Overlays and would have some serious errors for it to be that far right of track

Agree with some other posters... i cannot comprehend how a Pilot who is a trainer with 5000, odd hours gets themselves into that mess and piles it in... not even into a mountain but into flat terrain... something very odd has happened here, terrible tragedy but could be a fascinating investigation

Originally Posted by RAT 5
I'm waiting for the FDR to discover why the straight in approach went wrong. One has to assume that they briefed the NPA thoroughly and put themselves in a position to commence it without confusion or rushing. Surely?
Wouldn't be the first time a crew has rushed a NPA and made a dogs dinner of it...admittedly its usually to do with the vertical profile but still anything is possible

Last edited by Livesinafield; 17th Mar 2018 at 16:48. Reason: adding quote