PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill Airport To Cut Light Aircraft Activity- Cuts ALL training
Old 17th Mar 2018, 12:43
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like a lot more of those old airfields in the Southeast will eventually either upgrade to a commercial type setup if the facilities suit or be paved over for houses leaving less and less “strips” for GA and hobbyists. With the current density of population and the predicted growth, wealth and work opportunities in that part of the country it’s inevitable. I suppose if I was a GA “junkie” and flying was an important part of my life I’d have to decide between continuing to live there and commuting further out to the airstrips that are left or moving to a more rural area where work prospects and salary levels are significantly less but having my hobby on my doorstep. Tough choice really.

I live in rural Scotland with the strip next to the house, from walking out the front door to firing up the lycoming inside the hangar is 2 minutes with many grass strips nearby, I appreciate how luck I am. I doubt I would fly if I had to bollock about with traffic,trains or motorways then rules and regulations once I reached the airfield.