PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 17th Mar 2018, 09:00
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Oh I really think I do

Lets just look at what the NTSB report actually says

The square pad is approximately the same width as the skids (either 6 ft 4 in or 6 ft 8 in depending on which skid type is fitted) and the distances are quite clearly stated (first sentence in bold) from the outside edge of the square pad to the outside edge of the next one (33 Ft).

So you don't have to be a rocket scientist to acknowledge that the centre to centre distance is 33 ft PLUS the width of the painted square.

Even if we say the squares are only 6 ft across, that means the centre to centre distance is 39 ft.

The rotor diameter of the OH 58 is 35 ft 4 in so with both helicopters correctly positioned in the centre of their squares, there is an 3 - 4 ft clearance between the tips.

The report then says that is clearly nonsense as that would mean the pads could be 12 ft apart!!!

It seems more than reasonable to surmise that what they meant was that the clearance between 2 helicopters rotors on adjacent pads should be a minimum of 12 ft.

So, if the squares are 7 ft across and the distance between the outside edges of the pads is 33 ft you get a centre to centre distance of 40 ft - giving 5 ft clearance. Its not the 12 ft specified but neither is it 2 ft.

It isn't easy to say with more accuracy but the squares appear to be as wide, if not slightly wider than the width of the skids so they must be at least 6 ft wide and probably 7 ft. If they are wider than that - which is entirely possible, the clearance gets bigger - a 10 ft square would give 8 ft clearance.

OK Nubian - enough flannel - show how you get to 2 ft clearance based on what is actually in the report as opposed to what you think is in the report.

And are you honestly telling me that you believe they operated with a 2 ft rotor to rotor clearance for many years without anyone ever questioning it????
Ok, one more post and I'll be quick.

Yes, I have misread and concluded the reference of 37 feet was from center to center. Having re-read this, I see they refer from one center to the egde of the other box. So, it will be a few feet more clearance.

My apology!

Now, pad2 was located slightly in front of pad1 and if now the clearance between the pads center-center are as you say 43feet (which may very well be) the lateral clearance 90 degree out the right side of pad1 to the helicopter coming into land (slightly from behind pad2) will not be 43 feet.

After all, the way the base was utilised with 2 pads that close, was a result of an expansion from one to more helicopters, and the Police was exempt from following the AC for heliport design as they were a public service outfit and the pad was built before the AC came out. This is the 3rd AC since 1994 on the subject, but the base was built in 1972.

This however, does not change my view on the cause of events and what ultimately caused the crash.

This does not mean that I think the landing pilot free from charges as it looks like you think. Not at all! She was the last ''slice'' that could have stopped this from happening, but didn't.

I just recognise that the Pasadena Police made the changes as they saw fit the best and that would reduce the chance for this ever happen again.

Cheers