PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More damage to Aussie GA – ILS training
Old 17th Mar 2018, 04:09
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Clear as mud. In the CJ I would keep the autopilot coupled and monitor the altitudes shown on the plate. Never anything other than perfect.
Yes it seems you have been flying them as advisory. Yes the tracking is largely the same but the minute details of clearing the approach for vertical guidance are slightly different.

LPV and BARO VNAV (APV) are not the same thing. No I am not suggesting monitoring of baro on an LPV approach. I am pointing out that there are no LPV approaches in Australia and currently no capability to fly an LPV approach. What you have been flying is APV using baro to provide the vertical guidance/advisory.

Many professional pilots believe they have been carrying out Baro Vnav approaches at places like Wollongong.
These professional pilots would be mistaken. Simple question, are there BARO/VNAV approaches available at YWOL? If the answer to the question is no, then they have not been flying baro vnav approaches. They were probably flying vertical advisory approaches using baro as the enabler.....but that is not the same thing.

Surely the approach must be as or more accurate as an approach without baro and temperature adjustment and manually flown.
This is irrelevant until the procedure designers have cleared the approach for use as a baro/vnav.