PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Durham Tees Valley-7
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2018, 23:45
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highwideandugly
Welcome back Skyman with an excellent view...

The NE is a strange area...not much inbound tourism...and I don’t know why...not much in the way of major industrial players..and most of those are on Teeside...and not a major population feed...so...what is the answer?

Me thinks..please don’t shout..but pax should be concentrated on NCL.Its well established and accepted.

DTV. The ancillary business...maintenance,painting,freight and private. NCL don’t seem too interested in that business.

Working together two airports could succeed?
Without I fear for one of the NE airports..
Then if there is no inbound Tourism that's the fault of the region and tourist boards.
Rember you have the stuff Inning North York Moors , Whitby famous for the Dracula books being written there.
It's stunning abbey plus Durham a Cathedral city ideal for history buff tourists . Ditto York .
All not far by train or bus from DTV.
They need to do something soon or KLM may upsticks and do a Ryanair take their aircraft to another peel airport .
( Perhaps DSA ) . Seems the falling pax numbers are a self for filling prophecy they read in the media how terrible it is and probably more expensive so decide to take a long drive to Leeds Newcastleaybe even Doncaster .
For now their only hope is to return to ' bucket and spade and Eastern Europe ' , and as someone send try tempt a loco.plus perhaps get more Domestic services .
Maybe when CAX opens not a vast distance from them they need to try compete by serving Dublin Maybe Stansted and Belfast plus IOM.
And Season Southampton to meet the Cruise flights .
Try attract freight again .
Flatten the rail halt rebuild it where it will get used.
And they might not face closure .
As I hate to say it but now another Airport with more offerings already is opening a distance that's about 2 hours drive then I can't see them lasting the year .
If KLM go Eastern will too.
Where they would redepoly - who knows .
It's a terrible situation for all concerned and that region.