PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visited a careers seminar in the UK and need some advice
Old 16th Mar 2018, 15:03
WillyPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
WillyPete.
Careful there, you are very cynical.
Yes Thomas, as I stated that was the "cynical" view. A "worst case" if you will.
I can imagine that most people working as FI's are either retiring soon and like the job close to home, or on their way up and building hours.

Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
Careful about your FW reference. My son has just completed his FTE integrated course and the employment rate is 100% currently for all the 150 students who pass through ti each year, of which 66% are already guaranteed a job provided they pass the course (by various airlines). Of course this is due to the spike in pilot demand which is going exponential at the moment (300,000 pilots needed over the next 13 years - globally).
The question is: in 20 years, will there be any training schools if FW go pilotless?
Overall, the airline industry is reasonably well paid
Yes, I've even looked at the Integrated courses.
If I could take the 1.5-2 years to relocate for the course I'd be very interested myself.

Something worth reading on that subject:
https://www.verticalmag.com/news/stu...iner-shortage/

The study, performed by the University of North Dakota (UND) in collaboration with Helicopter Association International (HAI) and Helicopter Foundation International (HFI), predicts there will be a shortage of 7,649 pilots in the United States alone between 2018 and 2036. That deficit will be driven largely by an expected 1.5 percent increase in the country’s total number of airframes over the next two decades.
While this number is concerning, it’s the results of the maintenance personnel forecast that are most alarming.
In a presentation at Heli-Expo 2018, Dr. Elizabeth Bjerke of UND revealed that the U.S. is expected to see a cumulative shortage of 40,613 certified aviation mechanics between now and 2036.
The UND reached out to three regional airlines to find out if helicopter pilots are showing interest in these conversions.

“Lo and behold, the interest in these transition programs is very high,” said Bjerke. “In 2017 alone, 500 [rotary] pilots transitioned through their programs with a 95 percent completion rate. That was at just three of these airlines. Many more are offering these programs.”
There is growth in helicopters, but the maintenance field looks to be the winner.