PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in East River, NYC
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2018, 13:25
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would opt for the harness without rapid release too.
To my knowledge, in the period 2000-2013 two cameramen have perished trapped in non standard harnesses, whilst ALL other passengers and pilot survived.
There is story of one cameraman falling when he unbuckled himself in a large military helicopter to better secure his equipment.

So on that basis, it is safer not to be harnessed in...

Aviation safety bodies have received and studied Aerial filming/photo accidents, which included ditchings.

The risk assessment of the NYC operation is, on face value, from a professional aerial filming perspective, below best industry practice.

Whatever caused the loss of power (as if there has never been a claim that camera crew have accidentally interfered with flight controls!)
the lives of passengers hinged on a successful auto into water in whatever weather prevailed, day or dusk.
Glassy surface included.

If the auto was botched or a float failed then we all agree passengers would perish. Even with world class emergency services and medical care on the doorstep.

I’ve yet to read a comment from experienced crew who are surprised that passengers were unable to free themselves in this ditching.

The final, rotten, discragefull ignominy is the thought of the hapless pilot who was ill-equipped to carry out a rescue of his passengers, mere meters away.

From the perspective of the victims families, they will be soon realising that their personal life, mortgage and accident insurance probably excludes the flight.

They will have to fund a fight in court and prove negligence of the charter company.

What an industry!

Aren’t you guys interested in at very least improving your own survivability?
Helmets? Survival suits? Rescue Training? Loose objects and straps in the cabin? Photographer seated next to you?

Outside of war zones, aerial filming kills more photographers and cameramen than all other causes combined.

It’s an ongoing, toxic combination that deserves special attention.

Mjb