PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying offers way out from drug addiction
Old 16th Mar 2018, 10:33
TelsBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of us who were Air Cadets could probably testify how it kept us out of bother and gave us structure and discipline when we were teenagers. The flying was a big part of that, and enabled many kids from poor backgrounds (like me) to experience the unthinkable, what seemed like a rich man's plaything.

For me, coming from a forgotten ex-mining village on the outskirts of a big city with poverty and unemployment everywhere, with no hope or ambition, it probably changed my life. I always loved flying but never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever get that priviledge, to be able to do what I'd always looked up to and loved. It made me disciplined, dilligent and committed, and I knucked down and grew up.

I ended up moving very far away from that village and have ended up working in the aviation industry, and have been able to fund my own flying, a mixture of SEPs and gliding. 10-20 hrs a year, its not much but its way beyond what I ever thought I'd ever achieve, and I am eternally greatful for that.

I look to pass the same attitude on to my two young sons, and teach them to have ambition, work hard for it and be very greatful and appreciate all you have.

Some may scoff at such schemes, but believe me, it works. Not all of us are born with a silver spoon in our mouths, through no fault of our own. All it takes is for someone to show a little light, and there's a way out.

There by the grace of God etc...