PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 16th Mar 2018, 10:27
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
just to keep you happy Nubian - my answer is yes, of course we could still have been having this discussion.
Ok then....

I think the points that I and others have made about it being the landing pilot's responsibility not to land on another aircraft - REGARDLESS of where that aircraft is parked - is paramount.
You think I disagree? Point is this was an accident waiting to happen due to that the Pasadena Police failed to identify the high risk that was present, with no room for pilot error. And as we have determined, pilots f..k up!

With the new HLS layout, it is less likely to happen again - that's why the NTSB recommended the changes but its also even less likely to happen again because it has happened once and plenty of lessons were learned from it.
First time solo students wouldn't be at risk there now....

BTW - which pilots are happy with a 2 ft tip clearance?
You haven't read the report have you?! Do you only comment on the comments?

I've cut this from the report for you:

Pad 1 was 49x49 feet; the center of pad 1 to its outside edge was 25 feet. The edge of pad 1 to center of pad 2 was 12 feet. Thirty-seven feet separated the center of pad 1 from pad 2
Again, the OH58's rotor diameter is 35',6'' (radius 17,8X 2 helicopters) will give you a little less than 2 feet if both helicopters running.

They have no doubt been operating like this, otherwise I'm quite sure the landing pilot would not try to land on ''her'' markings in the first place.