PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 16th Mar 2018, 05:49
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Red face Who done it? The PIC, no if's, buts, or excuses

At one stage there was only one pad, positioned in the centre of square of tarmac adjacent to the fuelling point.
What most seem to be missing here is Mr. Reason and his Swiss cheese model. It's far from good enough to say the Lady is the one on whom all the blame falls, she was merely the one who pulled the trigger on a gun loaded by others. No one has an accident by choice, the pity is everyone is making assumptions as to why the accident occurred, as in lack of SA. If indeed it was lack of SA there can be explanations for that as well, divorce, death of child, duty hours etc. Nothing in the report gives a clear cut explanation, there are many other questions I would have wanted answered. We're all human - I think, and hope.
Blame the divorce....hmmm been there too & done that, doesn't' reduce or excuse my responsibility as the PIC, that's 'Pilot in Command' & if You ain't fit to fly, then for God's sake decline the mission but wait someone is outside the designated parking spot, I'll show 'em...BOOM

This is similar to a rear-end car crash. The driver who smashes into the rear-end of a preceding car is almost always to blame - regardless of whether that preceding car was within the lane markings or even braked too hard. YOU as the following vehicle are required to allow ample spacing to avoid a crash.

In this incident, it might also be helpful to take the scenario a bit further...let's say the already-parked helicopter was much further out of the box...is it his/her fault still...or the landing pilot? What is the parked helicopter was half-way over the other parking spot...is it the fault of the landing pilot yet?

You don't land an aircraft unless you've ensured it is safe to do so. You can blame the umpire all you like, but the fault (and root cause) lies with you. Own your mistakes. I own a lovely acreage of mistakes, which I carefully tend to and nurture, so I NEVER forget them.
Too right Squiffy, too RIGHT...done the deed; own it! Don't blame the poorly parked machine, Your still the PIC, or is that no longer 'politically correct'?