PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill Airport To Cut Light Aircraft Activity- Cuts ALL training
Old 15th Mar 2018, 22:08
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CloudHound
I think there's a slight bit of confusion concerning just which tenants have been given notice. It's the three flying training operators.

I'm not up to date with how many light a/c are still based at Biggin but from what I read none of those have been served notice.

So, whilst sad for those who will lose out, I don't see this as an attempt to remove all lighter GA residents.
About a month ago, they increased landing fees further for all (very) light aircraft, I heard they also increased outdoor monthly parking prices. It is literally just a matter of time... Falcon Aviation who owns both Surrey & Kent and EFG, also owns both planes operated by Alouette so I would have thought that it would be silly for them to remain at Biggin and keep their training ventures at a different airport. It makes it feel as though it really only is a matter of time...

I heard rumours of complaints of the level of proficiency from some light GA pilots (both private and schools) causing unnecessary stress to controllers at Biggin, now I don't know, but I would have thought that removing the local training facilities will only make it harder for based light GA to get the training / currency checks that they need.

White Waltham offers an instructor or someone who knows the circuits well to sit with you over a cup of tea, help you understand what is expected, and offers to sit in with you whilst you fly the different circuits to ensure that you are proficient (completely free of charge - unless you require serious remedial training).

is not hemmed in by Class D airspace north and south and Class A airspace less than 2000ft above the aerodrome, neither is it at one end of a 'Mig Alley' between the CTR/CTAs of two major airports.
I am sorry - but how is that relevant? How does the proximity of airspace affect their ability to cope with a very low volume of private jets mixing with a few planes doing circuits? I can understand that because they don't have ATC controllers that are allowed to clear planes for the approach, their constant need to coordinate with Thames for approaches and London Control for outbound IFR clearances is an additional workload - but surely you could hire someone whose job is coordinating for clearances as they do at most international airport (ground or clearance frequency). As mentioned above Gloster seems to be handling this relatively well, they however are able to vector planes for the approach without talking to another controlling unit. (Biggin could do this too, but they'd need to either train their staff or hire staff with the appropriate ratings as well as chat with Thames to go through their outskirt).

Sorry - I'll stop moaning now - I've had my fix!