PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 15th Mar 2018, 22:02
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
None of the measures recommended or actioned will prevent another pilot from making a mistake
Crab,

Have I said that these measures would prevent anyone making a mistake?? Nope!

But, with the layout as it is now, and I specify in THIS case (after all it is a specific case this thread is about, no?), the room for pilot error without the same result is greatly increased, so that this will happen again, well I will not hold my breath....

I asked you a question which you haven't bothered about although I repeated it and gave another poster a chance to answer which failed as well.

If the base had been like it is now, do you think we would have this discussion?

Judging by the available photos and video. I bet this base was originally intended for the use of 1 helicopter and dimensioned for that, then later on expanded to multiple helicopters without making the base appropriately bigger, only a set of new markings and maybe an SOP which is easy to not follow for various reasons. Now, if this is the case you have set a trap and it is only an unknown time to wait before the rest of the holes in the cheese line up and the ''dumb ass pilot'' conclude the story.

Don't get me wrong, lots of ''dense dumb ass pilots'' do unforgivable mistakes that cause accidents fatal or not, some should probably never have a license in the first place, but it is alway a more complex case than the pilot just being a dick and crash his machine. Very few crash intentionally!

youtube is full of these 15 second ''celebrities'' but you never know the story behind. Very easy to sit and watch idiots after each other do the silliest things like just having lost SA. etc. and conclude how stupid the pilot is.

But none of you have come up with any of the why's behind. Now, if you're going to prevent things from happening, you need to know why before you can change anything!

As for the 24 ft to the fuel-pump, the disc diameter of the OH58 is 35 feet, meaning the blade is 17,5 which gives you 6,5 feet lateral separation, so I think pilots that accept 2 feet rotor tip clearance don't have much problem with 6,5 + vertical component in addition.