PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "WHO's WHO": What do you fly? Where?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2003, 03:03
redandwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently Civil Search And Rescue

The venerable S61n

About as far west you can get in Europe (not mainland), without getting your feet wet!

Royal Navy then Sultan of Oman’s Air Force, for 8 years, then the North Sea for 11 years before sanity got the better of me!

Have flown the Chipmunk, Hiller 12E, Whirlwind HAS 7 (with the rotary piston engine), Wessex 5 (commando and SAR) and Wessex 3 (Anti-Submarine). The AB205, Bell 214B and AB 206. On the NS, the AS332L and L1.

Obviously ex-military.

Have been flying since the age of 16, (1968 to show how old I am!), started on gliders with the Air Cadets.

Just coming up to 12000 hours, I’m pleased to say that with SAR you get a lot less hours flying and more duty time, but the flying is a hell of a lot more challenging/interesting.

Have recognised ex-rotary booty, he was the driver of a 47, when I was ‘invited’ to fly in the litter à la M*A*S*H, my first ever trip in a helicopter!. 2nd trip was better, in the bubble! Also recognise Thud and Blunder from my time in SOAF.

This afternoon was out training with an inter-island ferry and on RTB the weather was absolutely brilliant, I’m being paid to do this, so don’t tell the bosses. Mind you, at 2 am on a really sh***y night, trying to get over a trawler changes my point of view!

Helicopter pilots work in places most people only dream about seeing! (sometimes).