PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On acquiring an aircraft for my own PPL training and later use
Old 15th Mar 2018, 05:52
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[...] the [Rotax] engine would be closer to $26k and you'd get around $6k for your used one
So the overhaul would rather be around $26k but what do you mean with the last part of your sentence, ie. $6k for a used one?

Regarding hire rates: schools always quote SOLO and DUAL rates. It my understanding that dual means with an instructor, and solo is without one. What are you implying with
the hire rates are less. 3.5-4 seats in a Warrior but they will rarely be filled in a training environment.
? The hire rates are lower for an UL because the running costs are. But that's irrespective of occupancy, or isn't it?

Perhaps go and visit one of the maintenance shops that service the Foxbats and Slings at YMMB and ask them how much for a service. If you can't find one, try Westernport aircraft maintenance at Tyabb as I know they do Foxbats and Bristells for Soar occasionally. Rotaxes should have 25 hourly oil changes if running on Avgas. I'm not sure what fuel Soar et al use.
Yes, that's a good idea. Thanks for the pointers, I'll inquire about that.

Regarding what I'd like to get from the aircraft, I'd say primarily having a good, reasonably all-rounder aircraft to build flight time. I'd like to take it on some cross-country flights, possibly flying 2-3 hours a day over a ten day period to discover it from above (reminder: I'm not from Aus). I don't mean to sound like a whippersnapper but something like taking my girlfriend on a journey from Melbourne to Darwin with as many stops as required. My early guess is that this includes a mix of sealed, grass and dirt runways. A two-seater with a bit of luggage room will amply do at this stage. A fast plane is not entirely important at this stage. Night flying: yes, as I understand that this is common rating to do with the PPL. As for instruments and aerobatics, the answer is yes but not necessarily. I'm still not very familiar with the obvious choice of ratings but my feeling tells me that a CSU might be a priority.

I talked to a nice bloke who almost managed to win me over for a Foxbat, arguing that flying this is endless fun. They are popular with a few schools around too would flying for a few days in this be a little uncomfortable? It seems that newer UL aircraft are most cost-effective than Warriors and 172s.

As for RA-Aus: Very tempted to give it a shot but living in Melbourne, I haven't found any option other than Tyabb, Tooradin, Lilydale or Bacchus Marsh, all of which are quite a drive from CBD.