PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emery Riddle School opinions
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2018, 00:44
Gull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll wade into this morass. This is directed just at the OP:
Firstly, if you have realized that you were born to fly and know it with every fibre of your being, then you will have to follow that path. Congrats - it's a roller-coaster ride. Just realize that the airline industry is not what you might think. It has changed dramatically over the past 15 - 20 years.
I have been flying for the airlines for over 20 years, as well as having been an airline training captain. This is not to boast - but to let you know where I am coming from.

1.) I would not recommend an airline career - it does work out well for some, but many others are disappointed, then realize they are trapped where they don't want to be. As I said - it's not what you might think. You really are just a bus driver with a nicer view and will be treated as such by management who try to reduce your T&C's for your entire career. There are other jobs in aviation - explore them all before settling on just one.

2.) You are just at the beginning of a long road - that's fine, we have all been there. You will make mistakes along the way just as we all did. From your posts it is obvious that you need to do a lot more research. You have started this on PPRUNE, keep digging!!!

3.) Yes, Embry Riddle students have a reputation in the industry - the problem is that it is a BAD reputation. Only the ERAU grads think highly of themselves - the rest of the industry knows the truth. Of course there are some fine ERAU pilots, but I am making a generalization and just letting you know from a training captain perspective that we could always tell an ERAU grad from their arrogance and self-entitled attitude. These are not the attributes that make for a good cockpit environment and make hard work for the trainers.

4.) Most flight training schools in the USA are primarily about making money - often to the detriment of the quality of training. The problem is that when you are just starting out - you won't easily be able to spot the good from the bad. All I can say is that the first 40 hours of flight training are critical and often set the type of pilot you will be.

So - priorities:
- Find the very best, most experienced instructor (not school) you can for the first 40 - 60 hours. Learn to really fly, not just check the boxes in a curriculum.
- Beware slick American marketing!!!
- US Airlines prefer or in some cases require a 4 year degree (doesn't have to be an aviation degree, but that helps). Is this the case in Italy? If not - what are you gaining spending the 4 years at a US college? (Hint - there are some good aspects to getting a US degree, but you need to understand if it is really necessary. Unless you are spending someone else's money like most ERAU students, in which case all you might be wasting is your time).
- Take the time to really understand what would help you the most to get where you want to be. It is probably unlikely you will make a career in the USA, so focus on what you need to do to have a career in the EU.

If you don't understand any of the above points, it is because you are just starting out and have a lot to figure out. The only way is to keep reading, asking and researching from as many sources as you can.
(As an example, you asked why someone told you that life as an Emirates pilot was bad. well, if you did the research, you would already have that answer. So when you don't understand something - make it your goal to figure out for yourself why someone has said it).

Good luck - I hope you find your happy place in the sky.