PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dog dies in overhead locker on UA
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2018, 23:27
BEagle

Received 275 Likes on 111 Posts
Zombywoof, try reading the full facts and you might perhaps understand that the family complied exactly with the carrier's requirements, but the ignorant FA thought that she knew better...

Meanwhile, from MarketWatch:
Dog’s death on United flight should result in family being ‘significantly compensated’, says lawyer of man dragged from flight
(by Mark DeCambre)

Demetrio says family of the dead dog should be ‘significantly compensated’
The lawyer for the man who was dragged off a United Airlines flight says family of the dog should be “significantly compensated,” for the tragic death of the pet.

According to reports, a United flight attendant insisted that a dog be placed in the overhead compartment for the entirety of the flight even though it was held in a TSA-approved pet carrier.

Thomas Demetrio, partner at Chicago law firm Corboy & Demetrio, who handled the case of Dr. David Dao, who was dragged from a United Airlines flight a year ago, told MarketWatch in a phone interview that “there’s clearly a legal claim, it’s just a matter of United avoiding that.”

The attorney said United Continental Holdings Inc. the parent of United Airlines, should step up with an out-of-court settlement.

“I think that the compensation should be significant. I really think so. I think this was a very traumatic experience. This dog was effectively murdered right above them,” the attorney said.

He also said that the average flier fears disobeying or questioning crew members.

“People understand much more so after Dr. Dao that you don’t mess with the flight attendant. They rule the world and if there’s controversy they will simply run to the captain” and recommend a removal from the flight, he said.

Demetrio declined to comment on how much Dao received from the airline after his well-publicized incident.

‘I think that the compensation should be significant. I really think so. I think this was a very traumatic experience. This dog was effectively murdered right above them.’ said Thomas Demetrio, partner at Chicago law firm Corboy and Demetrio.

United has since apologized: “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again.”

As for the death of the dog, Demetrio explained that he was a dog lover and said “It’s really the opposite of compassion that occurred.”

“I am a dog lover, but even a non-dog lover has to be somewhat amazed that a flight attendant would think it was a good idea that the dog be placed in an overhead bin. It’s United’s obligation to a passenger carrying a dog to use common sense and to supply safety and obviously it failed to supply safety. It was really very poorly handled,” he said.

Shares of United finished the day down 2.6% in Wednesday trade.