PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in East River, NYC
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2018, 19:31
GrayHorizonsHeli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by e7pilot
Thank you. NYC continues to be one of the 'best chance for quick water rescue' spots worldwide.

I wonder how good the flynyon little rescue knives are. If they are anything like the emergency escape hammer tools sold for underwater car escapes they probably won't work half the time

I'd hope the FAA does a time test of tourists, even on dry ground wihout full tension on their harness:

1) finding their knife for the first time, then cutting away either all 4 straps needed to release themselves, or the main anchor point. Is it even capable of fitting and a clean/quick cut of the thick reinforced main harness, without snapping or reverting to a sawing motion?

2) testing the same while blindfolded. (still not upside down or underwater...)
most of those knife cutters you can buy for your car seatbelts to use in an emergency, work mediocre at best. I've used them. maybe half the time they sliced a car seatbelt cleanly. the other times, the belt would jam or fold over and you wouldnt get thru.
The thicker webbing on the harness would require a bigger and stronger cutter, and so far I haven't seen what they offered.
If it was the type you use for your car, I wouldn't think you wouldnt be very successful.