PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in East River, NYC
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2018, 17:17
e7pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordy
Police divers jumped out of a police helicopter within 4 minutes I believe. See here:
Originally Posted by henra
Assumed that the timing is real time?
I understand that it took between 30 and 60 minutes after the crash to get them out of the water. I somehow cannot imagine it took them 26 minutes to get the first one out?
I remember reading the 30-60min figure somewhere else. Although NYC is of the 'best chance for quick water rescue' spots worldwide, I question the logic and sensitivity of the NY Fire dept releasing such a long video showing the successful operation. 5 out of 6 died---I wouldn't pat myself on the back much over this operation.

I wonder how good the flynyon little rescue knives are. If they are anything like the emergency escape hammer tools sold for underwater car escapes they probably won't work half the time

I'd hope the FAA does a time test of tourists, even on dry ground wihout full tension on their harness:

1) finding their knife for the first time, then cutting away either all 4 straps needed to release themselves, or the main anchor point. Is it even capable of fitting and a clean/quick cut of the thick reinforced main harness, without snapping or reverting to a sawing motion?

2) testing the same while blindfolded. (still not upside down or underwater...)

Last edited by e7pilot; 15th Mar 2018 at 05:15.