PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill Airport To Cut Light Aircraft Activity- Cuts ALL training
Old 14th Mar 2018, 15:20
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Death by a thousand cuts

Sorry as I am, it come as no surprise that this is happening.
GA and 'clubs' have no clout when it comes to 'business owners' directing their focus on generating income and at the same time being seen to reduce an ongoing nuisance potential.
What surprises me is that the 'users' did not see this coming and stand against it.
The problem is there is no where else for them to go in that general area plus it will just add to the pressure at the surviving airfields. Biggin has always been a 'feeder' unit for aspiring commercial pilots, and as such has been a real service provider to the airlines. I remember when in 1959 Croydon closed, and the Surrey flying club flew out to their new base at Biggin to become the S&K flying club. The numbers of clubs soon flourished due to A:- The Need, and B:- the encouragement from the then new leaseholder to GET PEOPLE FLYING.
The input to both the local economy and the many jobs created was a win win for everyone, and the 'nuisance reporting' factor was mainly from people who bought 'new build' properties in the locality and then complained about the aircraft.
I would like to think that certain well established clubs at Biggin will even now be joining together and pooling their legal resources to fight this unfair and unreasonable situation,because if Biggin falls then GA in this country will be going nowhere fast.

Last edited by POBJOY; 14th Mar 2018 at 18:09.