PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Past Operators and Destinations at LCY
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 23:56
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I think more of the routes I have used from LCY have gone than remain !

Conti-Flug 146 to Berlin Tempelhof. My first LCY trip. They subsequently extended midday from Berlin to Venice, and advertised through service from LCY, though hardly any pax did so.

AirUK 146 to Belfast, given up. British European DH8-300 to Belfast, given up. Scot Airways (operating for Cityjet) to Belfast, given up. Hmmm.

Cityjet to Nice.

British Midland to Leeds, on an ATR-42. Actually it was an Air Atlantique aircraft wet-leased in with an oddball paint scheme. I was one of (very) few pax, it didn't last long. Included a landing on the cross-runway at LBA, which was apparently a rarity. Likewise once had a Cityjet departure from Dublin for LCY off the old short north runway 11/29, now closed, most surprising until I looked up its length and found it was actually longer than LCY !

VLM to Manchester, at one stage about 8 daily, shame that went.

Jet Magic Emb-135 to Cork. Purple livery.

Ones I didn't take included Sabena (remember them) DH8-300, and even 146, to Brussels. KLM Dornier 328 to Berne, Switzerland (a commuter codeshare but full KLM livery). Malmo Aviation 146 to Stockholm. SAS Q400 to Copenhagen (very short lived), and the ludicrously-named World Airlines, who started just two daily round trips to Amsterdam for a couple of months before losing their only aircraft to the bailiffs right on the LCY ramp, it was pushed to where gate 11 is now, writ stuck on the door, and the oldest LCY ramp van was wheelclamped right across the front of it. I would guess they had never paid their landing fees. Their startup publicity had included 50 London taxis fully liveried about the airline and Amsterdam, must have been a 12 month contract, they were on the road long after the airline went bust.

Originally Posted by Goldencane
Brymon was the first, they did all the hard work including the first landing at Canary Wharf early eighties with the dash 7. Capt Harry Gee in command.
Here's an actual video of it - it's landing on Heron Quay, just where the Heron Quay DLR station is now.
Bit of a wobbly one by Harry, but all credit to him for pulling it off, to whom there is a commemorative plaque at the foot of the DLR station escalators.

Any photos of the DC6 at LCY?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0859.jpg (769.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by WHBM; 14th Mar 2018 at 00:18.