PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in East River, NYC
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 23:48
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The three ring release has been around for many years and is about the best there is for loads under tension being released. HOWEVER, it is not as fast if there is no tension on it and I can imagine in the shamble of a rollover accident something getting pressed up against it or stuck in it that would keep it from releasing. I have also seen on exactly two occasions where an experienced person misassembled the riser halves by slipping both smaller rings rings through the large ring ( in a bit of a hurry) and inserting the teflon coated ripcord through the loop. In that case the more load it is under, the harder it is to pull and can actually prevent a cutaway from happening. Other jumpers spotted the misrouting while going to altitude, these were all experienced people. I suggest that nobody less than a qualified professional film crew needs to have their feet in an open door for a helicopter ride. Yes, it is an E ticket, big fun thing to do but considering the real risk of over water flights without everyone having a HEEDs device on their harness it should be banned. Stop trying to make it safe for the public because it is inherently more dangerous than they know.