PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2003, 23:49
Randy_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDRickster No worries.

Obviously we should try to approach into wind, it is the safest, and easiest way to approach. If you are flying into airports all of the time, then there usually are no reasons to approach downwind. However, as pilots we need to evaluate all of our options, and decide on the safest way to conclude each flight.

For instance; if the choice is between a very steep/nearly vertical descent from +150', or a shallow downwind approach, I may decide that a downwind (or cross-wind) approach is safer. Assuming that I have the power margin, and that the wind is below the a/c's demonstrated limits. The safest route in, may not be straight into wind.

In the job that I do, terrain sometimes leaves me with few choices in the direction of approach or landing. Prior to your flights, you should check the performance charts prior to firing up, to determine weight and alt that you can HOGEwith the expected temps. This is essential when flying power limited a/c (like R22, B206, 204, etc). Once you lift off, see what power is required to HOGE, and see if it matches what the manual predicted. You did calculate your weight I hope, so you'll be able to make a meaningful comparison ??

The rule of thumb I use is; if the a/c can hover OGE with less than MCP, then I should have enough power for any hover OGE, downwind hover (in case we have to perfom hover-exits), or a landing downwind, assuming we're not power limited due to temp/alt, and I'm operating at a similar or lower altitude.

Cheers

Last edited by Randy_g; 27th Sep 2003 at 00:00.