PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 14:04
58guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on my next steps.

Okay, I'm really sorry but I'll try to make this as short and sweet as I can.

Long and short is that flying has become a four letter word in my life.

As a kid I wanted to become a fighter pilot (who doesn't right?) or a pilot of some sort in the military. Well back then I had to start wearing glasses and pretty much gave up on the idea since until recently glasses and LASIK were a no go. Eventually I made it to the military about 8 years ago and worked on helicopters until last year when I got hurt and was medically discharged. Before that happened I was working on becoming an officer and then flying whirly birds, but life happens and the military takes you dry and puts you away wet. So those are my two attempts thus far. My injury wont disqualify me from a Class 1. The military showed me the door because I can't do things like hump a 45 pound pack for 12 miles, or run, or wear body armor.

Anyway, I have been wanting to fly again. I work overseas in an operations function in aviation right now making a killing compared to other points in my life. Watching the aircraft flying around here makes me want to start flying again. The only experience I have right now is from 4 years ago. I completed PPL ground school and have around 12 hours in a 172. The FBO kept jacking up the price of the 172 I flew, unfortunately the pay from the military couldn't keep up (guess you can count that is my 3rd attempt at flying).

I'll cut to the chase. This is what is going through my head and opportunities in front of me.

This is what I'm planning to do.

Work contracts for the next 4-5 years (which puts me at 34 or 35) and make it so I can develop passive income and not have to worry about bad pay. Then start flying again, which will be covered by my veterans benefits, or most of at least, and go from there.

I really don't care where I work, honestly if I work anywhere in the world that would be great. My wife and I that are the type that wants to throw a dart at the earth and end up where it lands. I already have a network built with pilots I worked with in the military who either A) are at the airlines or B) a captain at a corporate charter company who will open a FAA Part 141 soon with a contract flying for the company for two years after. My wife will support anything I do because I made some sacrifices in my previous life for her and she is more than willing to help and support me. She has a strong career and I don't need to support her. We don't want kids, ever.

What I want is to have a decent career doing something I enjoy. I would love to make it into cargo or live in a different part of the world. Matter of fact, how does someone from North America end up flying in other countries besides the ME3? For example, can someone work for Korean Air and be based in Korea?

Back on topic, long in short of it is this. I don't really care about making a metric **** ton of cash one day but I want to be comfortable. I feel like have some pretty good opportunities in front of me to make this happen. I love flying and I would be so god damn happy flying rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong.

If you were in my shoes would you go through with my plan? If your are in the industry already let me know what you think.

Much love in advance for any advice. Sorry I rambled a bit but there is a lot rolling in my head right now.