PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flare - Losing my skills?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:38
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don’t be scare to flare and hold it. Most of the hard landings in our company are due to not enough flare and always on A321 and almost never on A320/319. If you over flare or float too much a little bit of bank into wind will put the aircraft smoothly on the ground. It works really well thanks to the spoiler deployement.
Some people will say it’s not recommended to give some little forward inputs but with experience, especially if you flare too high and are concerned about the TDZ, it also does the job if done properly. But be very careful as you don’t want to hit the nose first. If you are new on type, better use the first technique if required.
Also remember to disconnect the AP soon enough to feel the aircraft especially in gusty /crossind conditions: My worst landing was mainly due to that reason: Captain asked me to keep the AP until 400 feet AGL in tail/crosswind condition and I did not flare enough. 1.55G on A321. I also did 1.44 on A319 and it felt much worst. Can someone explain why the G load on A321 is always higher on A321 compare to A319 for the same « level of smoothness » landing?

Oh and I forgot, on the old models with wingtip fences, if during aproach, your VAPP is too closed to VLS like less than 3 kts, adding 2/3kts can help. Especially in Conf 3 on 319. The pitch is sometimes very high during approach. A couple of extra kts will lower the nose and will require less aggressive flare.

Last edited by pineteam; 13th Mar 2018 at 11:58.