PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 12th Mar 2018, 14:30
Heathrow Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plane was carrying 67 passengers and four crew.

It is now known that 33 of the passengers were Nepalis, 32 were Bangladeshi, one was Chinese and one was from the Maldives. Among the 22 people injured, some are in a critical condition.

One of the survivors, Nepalese travel agent Basanta Bohora, described from his hospital bed what he had experienced. After a normal take-off from Dhaka, the plane had begun to behave strangely as it approached Kathmandu, he said.
"All of a sudden the plane shook violently and there was a loud bang afterwards," he was quoted as saying by the Kathmandu Post.
"I was seated near the window and was able to break out of the window," he added.
"I have no recollection after I got out of the plane, someone took me to Sinamangal Hospital, and from there my friends brought me to Norvic [Hospital]. I have injuries to my head and legs, but I am fortunate that I survived."

The aircraft was permitted to land from the southern side of the runway flying over Koteshwor, but it landed from the northern side," Sanjiv Gautam, director general of the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal, was quoted as saying by the Kathmandu Post."We are yet to ascertain the reason behind the unusual landing."

However, US-Bangla Airlines chief executive Imran Asif has blamed Kathmandu air traffic control. "There were wrong directions from the tower. Our pilot was not at fault," he told reporters at his office in Dhaka.

Airport general manager Raj Kumar Chettri told Reuters news agency that the plane hit the airport fence before touching the ground. The pilot told flight controllers that everything was OK soon before landing, but did not reply when told his alignment was not correct, he said.

Last edited by Heathrow Harry; 12th Mar 2018 at 14:43.