PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?
Old 12th Mar 2018, 12:37
meatlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?

Good day to all.

I know that the question is quite vague, and depends on individual lifestyle.
As a health conscious, younger guy recently entering into the word of aviation and flying, I am curious how bad it is all in all if one manages to try to have a good balance.

The flying at ungodly hours can be hectic, but there are plenty of other jobs that require you to also have horrible shifts, etc. Sleep can be caught up on, but I am wondering how bad the overall Job can be, and how bad of a toll can it take on the body.

I have not been flying nearly as long as the guys on here, but have noticed that there are 2 types of guys for the most part.
Either the health conscious Pilot, the ones that look very good for their age, that leads a balanced life, make sure to exercise(even if not excessively), and then you have the guy that does not care about what he eats, never works out, smokes like a chimney, looks years beyond his age, and simply does not care for his health too much.

As a health conscious guy, and a guy that likes to take care of himself, I am wondering if flying can take a toll on you and age you years beyond your days, as well as cause health issues, even if you lead a balanced, healthy life, and made sure to catch up on sleep, and eat well.
It may be a sort of unusual question or worry for some, but I am an athlete, have always lead a healthy lifestyle, looked younger for my age, taken care of myself, and I would like to hear insight from the guys that can relate.

Thank you.