PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disappointing Magazine articles
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2003, 21:24
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm...years ago (25+) I would inhale every word of every flying mag I could lay my hands on...as the years role on, and the hours of hard won experience pile up I find I don't read any of them regularly...most not at all.

Articles are, imo, usually very 'light on' in most respects. Soft subjects covered in a way that suggests the writer really doesn't have THAT much direct experience. Flight reports on specific aircraft are almost not worth reading because you can just tell that they are mostly free advertising.

Then you read someone like Farley and his ilk and they are rivetting...because the depth of knowledge/experience is obvious.

John Deakins articles, on Avweb, are similarly rivetting because he's expert and he calls a spade a f**king spade.

Basically, and not unlike Pprune in some respects, if you took every flying mag for the last five years and read them back to back you'd discover there's about 14 topics that get rerun every year. Every Autumn the cold weather articles and every spring the TS/windshear articles in US Flying for instance.

Chuck.