PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-2
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2018, 10:34
Cazza_fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOM1747
If we could just get a Jet2 based aircraft operating routes or the return of Ryan Air or Easyjet, that would help the pax figures.
Most likely at the expense of DSA's current airlines routes or bases altogether...

Before we see other airlines entering the market or ultimately basing aircraft at DSA, you should ideally want to see the current serving airlines to either base additional aircraft and/or expand their route networks. This will bolster their own positions at DSA making it more sustainable for if demand increased and other airlines eventually arrive in the future.

I don't see the big fuss about the constant want for Jet2 at DSA? Their current way of working wouldn't warrant a single based aircraft and (being realistc) particularly at the moment i don't see demand for any more than that from them ( with my above comment in mind). Especially with their other larger bases of EMA, LBA and MAN all being relatively close by. I understand business models can change and they may indeed find a way of making it financially viable to set up a 1x aircraft base initially as a niche market from DSA, but for now it would be an oddball in the network.

On the flip side, Thomas Cook Airlines could probably better sustain a summer only single based aircraft at DSA. Their business model better fits such an operation and they have better flexibility with their aircraft throughout the seasons to make that possible. The package holiday market is an area where DSA excels at too. Whilst it would be some competition, particularly for TUI, it wouldn't be as aggressive as a large base set up from a low-fares carrier and they often focus on different segments of the charter market too.

As for Ryanair basing, well that would most likely mark the end of Flybe at DSA - in its current form anyway - and would most probably impact on the Wizzair network as well. Operating a select few services on a W-pattern could work again. However, i would suspect these would most likely be the usual summer sun routes - again effecting current serving airlines performance.

Choice for the consumer is great, BUT only when it can be done sustainably.