PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA 'Training Flight' seems to becoming an exam!
Old 26th Sep 2003, 20:59
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I am aware, all training entered in a log book must be certified by the relevant instructor. My current interpretation of this is that I sign every entry in the log book at the end of each flight.

In older times, on completion fo a course, the CFI signed the log book to certify that the entries were correct.

Thus by one of the above means, in order to obtain an IMC or night qualification, ther must be some signature to certify the training.

When I complete the 1 hour training with a pilot, we have a proper debrief of the flight over a nice cup of tea.

I am very mindfull that the minimum standard I look for is that of a brand new PPL holder regardless of how many thousands of hours the pilot has.

Provided that the operation is safe and the safe outcome of every manoeuvere is never in doubt (even if it is a little sloppy), I have no problem signing the logbook.

However, if the overall performance is so poor that safety is not ensured , I give the pilot the option of my either not signing the entry (we discuss how to improve the flying and book a further flight) or I make a full and frank comment in the logbook of what I considered the displayed standard to be and sign that comment. I don't care which the pilot chooses it is totally up to them.

It is in no way a test.......it is a training flight. However, if we all think back to our training days......when we did not meet the standard for progression, our instructor made a comment in the training notes which made this clear and we did the same exercise again....and again until we demonstrated the minimum standard.......it wasn't a test.......it was training.

Now that we are PPL holders do we consider ourselves above the requirement to train???

If an instructor signs a logbook after an unsafe performance without recording any adverse comments then any posible benifits (to other airspace users) from the flight are lost.

Having seen lots of flying this summer by qualified pilots which were well below the minimum standard for a PPL, perhaps we need the insurance companies in Europe to follow more closely the US system whereby the insurance company makes check flights mandatory and rewards safe competent pilots with lower premiums while those reported for unsafe flying on a regular basis get a reminder in the one place they pay attention to - their bank account.

Regards,

DFC