PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 12th Mar 2018, 04:45
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
airpolice

Everyone seems content to blame the MoD, as if the building was making the decisions, when in fact they were made by people who are now living the good life, on serious pensions.
You made this point last week, and you are correct. It was also pointed out that those who initiated the quite conscious rundown of airworthiness management have been identified. That publication asks the question 'Who or what is MoD?' and a decision was taken to avoid naming anyone below 2 Star, for stated reasons. I think that correct, given the available evidence and imperative.

To name individuals, publishers tend to require written, irrefutable evidence (and I think it only right to apply this to pprune). Accompanied, ideally, by these people putting themselves on record in the media and, if possible, recordings of this. On Mull of Kintyre we had all of this evidence, so no problem.

In this case, some names have been released - read the Inquest reporting from 2014. But I would certainly never repeat them, because everyone knows MoD would never allow someone in the witness stand who actually knew anything. Yes, we heard from one chap who insisted - probably truthfully - he'd never been told not to over-tighten the Drogue Nut. But he was a diversion. We never heard from his seniors as to why he wasn't trained; not just in how to fit a nut, but in how the device worked in the first place. Or their seniors, who decided to change the seat maintenance policy without ensuring training and pubs were updated. Or their seniors, who issued a directive that pubs and training were not to updated, as it was a waste of money. Or their boss (suddenly, singular) who issued the policy to waste the money, that made paying for this work difficult. Very quickly you get back to the same people who were named first time around; and whose policies begat Nimrod, C-130, Sea King, Tornado and all the other avoidable deaths. These are not sh*t happens deaths. Their root causes were predictable, predicted, notified (often years in advance) and ignored. The names of those who ignored these direct, face-to-face warnings, backed up by written warnings, are very well known and already in the public domain.

To me, the original legal failure in this case was that of the CPS, who decided that MoD's admission was not sufficient grounds for prosecution. When it admitted serious offences in the SI report; repeated from previous cases? The prosecution of M-B was a diversionary side-show. Expect a few names from the HSE in a future Honours List!