PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On acquiring an aircraft for my own PPL training and later use
Old 12th Mar 2018, 02:43
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
What's your mission after you get your PPL? Every time these threads come up (I created one myself a while ago) you get the inevitable naysayers claiming that you should never buy an aircraft, that you should only rent, and so on...

Where this argument becomes problematic is when you look at the huge costs involved in renting an aircraft for touring. Most clubs or schools have a minimum daily charge if you take the aircraft away from base, and there is the added pressure of having to have the aircraft back so that other bookings that they might have in the future aren't jeopardised.

I've modelled out the cost of ownership extensively for a few four seater types sub-100k, namely PA28, C172, C182, and if you buy a dud aircraft or get unlucky with big problems then of course it is going to cost you a small fortune.

However, my modelling indicates that if you do your due diligence with a suitably qualified engineer and don't overpay for the aircraft then it can be quite cost effective. Even more so if you buy in a partnership of 2-3 people and you are keeping the aircraft at an airfield that is not a capital city secondary airport.

OP, I can see where you are coming from with regard to aircraft choice but there is a reason that the trusty C172 and PA28 designs have endured the test of time. They are also more appealing to students who want to progress on to CPL. I notice you haven't factored in depreciation if you were to buy a newer design LSA...it seems to me that depreciation is not a huge deal on older C172s/PA28s, and in fact good ones are starting to increase in value.

If the age of the aircraft bothers you why don't you look for a mid-90s or later model?