PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On acquiring an aircraft for my own PPL training and later use
Old 12th Mar 2018, 00:07
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@roundsounds:
- if you just want to own an aeroplane and can afford it, do it. Don’t try to justify it, just go and buy one.
Well there are educated acquisitions and then there are impulsive buys. With an aircraft and the joy of the learning to fly, it's hard to keep a straight mind but, still, that's no reason to waste or lose money irresponsibly either. The whole thing has to make somewhat financial sense, and I don't necessarily mean turning a profit but rather minimizing the cost of the whole experience of flying. As with many other things in life, renting is more convenient but also more expensive. In GA, renting is often the only option as the costs levels are so absurdly high that they rule out the overwhelming majority of users.

- do you really want to fly just the one type for several years to come? Maybe get your licence, hire a few different types then decide.
I get your point, and I don't mean to provoke but won't most people drive the same car for 2-3 years before they change? And usually, they'll drive their car everyday. An aircraft is something that you're going to fly at most once or twice a week if time allows, and perhaps twice a month otherwise. At that frequency, I don't know that I'd want to fly a different type of plane every single time to be honest. Then again, I'm passing my RPL exam shortly and will then begin my cross country training, my views may be subject to change.

@LeadSled: Can you also go the other way, ie. get your PPL (or RPL) and then fly RAOz, with a relevant conversion? If it's cheaper to fly the same aircraft, and if I intend to do just a small recreational flight, RAOz seems amply sufficient.

Also:
Having said that, as you intend to go to a PPL, you should do a CASA medical, and start of with an initial for a first class standard, only downgrade to a Class 2 if you are forced so to do.
I obtained a medical class 2 for now because my instructors advised me to, arguing that one can upgrade to a medical class 1 at a later stage if necessary. What's the reasoning behind your downgrading if forced to advice?