PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 17:42
zed3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to change the topic a little. Yesterday we drove over to stay at the MAN airport Hilton. We had a concert to attend in Bramhall at 1930. The hotel was fine but the signage at the airport is abysmal. Before moving abroad, I lived near to and thereafter have flown into MAN frequently, so know the area well. However, leaving the hotel and entering the 'system' at 1845 for a 15 minute drive, at the most, one was confronted, among all the road works, with signs for terminals 1,2,and 3, parkings 1- infinity but no directions for the major roads in the area. Following 'exit' painted on the road... seemingly, a while ago... we ended up on the M56 going in the totally wrong direction. After hopefully taking a 'Cheadle Royal' direction sign we headed off to Manchester on the wrong side of the road we wanted... (opposite direction to Cheadle Royal... the old hospital) with no possible exit and 'no u-turn' signs at every opportunity. Ending up in Didsbury and knowing where I was I was able to do a 180 at the lights and backtrack. How do visitors handling a hire car with the steering wheel on the wrong side cope? How do UK visitors cope? Where do they get these managers from... I would assume they are paid for this incompetence. Luckily I know the area and place names and was able to extract myself and make the appointment on time... just!
Why is the dear old UK so hopeless in these simple matters? Harrumph.