PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 26th Sep 2003, 19:38
BigGreenPleasureMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It constantly surprises me that many people graduating from engineering degrees end up (and fully intended to be) pursuing careers not remotely connected with engineering. Always strikes me as a waste of everyone's time.

If you want to be an engineer if the ATPLs don't work out, do engineering.

If you want to be a manager, do the manangment ones.

Zimbu has a point (rather indelicately put, i thought) that you, and possibly your teachers and your folks, will know where your skills lie. Three or four years is a long time to study something if you find you don't like it, or dont have the aptitude for it.

For what its worth, i did a four year aero (avionics) degree, had a cracking time, got a geoff hurst, spent a year on the bru and am now off to cranfield to get my teeth into another degree. Having a university qualification isn't the golden safety net many on this forum believe it to be.

When making your choice, take into account what is offered on this (and other) threads, but make sure you get as much advice from teachers, career advisors, parents, peers etc. and never start a degree without visiting the campus. I had a very close call with salford a few years back. Still occasionally wake up in a cold sweat:-)

Regards,
BGPM.