PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On acquiring an aircraft for my own PPL training and later use
Old 11th Mar 2018, 00:03
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On acquiring an aircraft for my own PPL training and later use

I know that this matter has already been discussed in other threads but the aircraft under consideration were almost exclusively Warriors or 172s which are 40 year old designs and heavy on fuel consumption.

Instead, I am considering light sport aircraft such as a Blackshape Prime or a Sling 2, for instance. I'd prefer a Blackshape Prime fitted with a CSU.As I am still half-way towards obtaining my PPL here in Australia, my question would be the following one: would it financially and technically (from a skill-set building perspective) make sense to acquire such an aircraft and lease it back to a school to do my training?

I am in a lucky position to have enough funds to acquire one and wouldn't need any loan for this. My reasoning is that giving money away at the expensive dual rate makes little sense if you can afford to have your own plane, lease it to a school and do your own training and flying in it.

One of the schools at my airport has a number of Sling 2 aircraft and they're quite popular with students. Most Warriors and 172s are now in their 3rd or 4th decade and seem to have run their course. Financially, the dual hourly rate on a Piper or 172 is in the A$360-400 range, which includes roughly A$100 for the instructor whereas dual rate on a Sling 2 is just about A$ 290 which makes it much more attractive to students and at seemingly no extra expense to the school.

Therefore, my assumption is that both schools and students would stand to benefit from this opportunity, making a leaseback idea viable.Would it therefore be a good idea to buy a sport light aircraft such as those mentioned and lease it back to the school? Or am I missing anything that still makes learning in Warriors and 172s relevant?

Thanks for your inputs.