PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 10th Mar 2018, 20:45
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whoknows idont
I think it's a bit like someone parking his car on a railroad crossing, assuming that he will be long gone by the time the train arrives or that the train driver will see him in time and avoid collision.

Sure, the arriving pilot messed up big time. I wouldn't give her much more than 50% of the blame though. The guys on the ground acted extremely negligent as well.
Semantics always get in the way. Here is what I mean by root cause. Simply by parking an aircraft in the wrong place does not cause an accident. Arriving at the pad and hitting a parked aircraft....that causes an accident. There are many things that may make an accident more likley given normal human behaviour but there can only be one root cause by definition. I prefer to think of tap roots, one big root cause, rather than a dendritic mesh calling each factor a minor root clause. That allows us to focus on the action that caused the accident. If you choose to not blame the pilot because of the error someone else made by parking in the wrong place that is fine by me, but the root cause remains the same. It is always the pilot's responsibility to see and avoid obstacles, even if they are in unexpected places.