PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Service Pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2018, 15:06
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that imply that ex-military pilots are not competent at managing their own careers and need a ‘Managed Path’ to help them cope?

That would then seem to imply that civilian pilots are competent enough at managing their own careers that they do not need such a ‘Managed Path’!!

Maybe this is as a result of them having been 'serviced' while in the military that they need BA to 'service' them too?
Try a 12-18 month notice period on a 25-30% pay cut. Managed path is exactly that. A means to transition to civilian employment with an exit date coordinated between your Human resources and the military manning setup. It does not mean any dodgy handshakes, short cuts or mates rates; for a start, HR in the main airlines would not permit it nor understand that, secondly, it would leave the airline open to litigation one would expect from those applying from outside the military sphere.

The excellent ex mil are the exception, not the rule.
Personally, judge as I find. If we end up flying, you wont know I am ex military unless you ask. I left the forces with an open view to civilian aviation, not to bore my left hand seat by expecting him to pull up a sandbag. I expect many you will have met and have a bad experience of,will have been from previous generations who left when the floodgate doors were open. Having said that, I have flown with a few roster "DNF" oddballs from a civilian background too.

Just for awareness, all mil pilots now complete a full CPL/IR and Skills test. 14 Theory exams. You get MCC exemption only if you are ex multi pilot (and I understand some of the rotary types dont count for this). So there is no longer no less equivalence nor credibility in proving one's worth as a professionally licenced pilot. I also remember having to fly to an equivalent standard as my civilian counterpart when flying the sim on assessment.

As to the management aspect, most managerial elements as far as I can tell, are established in standard operating procedures or if necessary, calling back to current operations. If anything, exceptional leadership and managerial skills developed whilst in the military go against the civilan mold, as you very much have the same big picture (nor need to) as is required whilst operating military ops.

We do offer a track record, a pretty decent training background by civilian standards (and thats purely down to commercial reasons) and typically, command experience at an age that would shock most legacy carriers. You have to accept that makes ex-mil a low training risk for type rating.