PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 10 "updates" ......
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:35
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Like everything else at QMC in 1969-73, very little was actually taught to Aero Eng students - we spent our days copying down notes and trying to work out what the heck it all meant... Flying Chipmunks at ULAS was much more fun, so my 3 year course became a 4 year course...

...which was about the time computers began to appear. No-one taught us how to use them either.

I do remember at Uni the more complex assignments were done by punching a pile of cards and taking them over the the data-processing building to put them in the queue for running.
Even our simple ones! I recall collecting a huge pile of tractor-feed paper when a program didn't work. But the realisation was that this was an excellent source of free scrap paper. Thus every so often I handed over my Fortran cards to the lovely Linda, then came back a few days later to collect my free paper!

Then in 1973 a Thing appeared known as a 'VDU' - like a little TV with a keyboard attached. I avoided computers for the next 12 years until the squadron acquired a BBC Master, on which I taught myself to write programs for interception procedures using co-ordinate geometry and trigonometry, then the revised figures for tanker rendezvous procedures when the SOP overtake and roll-out values were amended. The RAF was going to pay around £25K for Queera to do that - instead they gave me £0.... The RV values are still in use today.

But programming? Someone else can do that as far as I'm concerned. I just want my laptops to run as I need them to. No childish rubbish like that Cortina thing either!

As for Linux, when I was working for a company in Germany, the resident geek started some message and data store thing which ran on that. The MD asked "What is this bloody penguin nonsense?" and we soon reverted back to Windows!