PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 21:26
Check_Thrust

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ComradeRoo
There are no restrictions for logging ICUS after getting up to ATPL reqs - it becomes a simple designator between PF/PNF legs up until FO gets promoted and starts a real command training. Only at this point in time ICUS becomes what it is supposed to be: command under supervision.

PS: I still don't get how is it relevant to the thread subject
Yes I am not sure of its thread relevance but I do want to respond to your above mentioned comment that I've put in bold.

Are you sure there are no restrictions? I can't speak for the company that you work for and there policies however from the CASR:
61.095 Definition of flight time as pilot in command under supervision for Part 61

(1) A person's flight time as pilot in command under supervision is the duration of a flight if:
(a) the person holds a pilot licence; and
(b) the person performs all the duties of the pilot in command for the flight; and
(c) subregulation (2) or (3) applies to the flight.

(2) For paragraph (1)(c), this subregulation applies to the flight if:
(a) the flight is conducted by an operator that has training and checking responsibilities; and
(b) the pilot in command of the flight is authorised by the operator or the operator's Part 142 operator to conduct the supervision of the person.

(3) For paragraph (1)(c), this subregulation applies to the flight if:
(a) the person is supervised by a flight instructor or flight examiner; and
(b) the person is not receiving flight training.
and

61.085 Definition of flight time as co-pilot for Part 61

A person's flight time as a co-pilot is any period, during flight in an aircraft that, under these Regulations, must be flown with a flight crew of at least 2 pilots, in which the person is performing co-pilot duties other than as pilot in command under supervision.

Note: A co-pilot is a pilot on board an aircraft in a piloting capacity other than the pilot in command or a pilot who is on board the aircraft for the sole purpose of receiving flight training: see the definition of co-pilot in Part 1 of the Dictionary
As I said I can't specifically speak for your company's policies however if all the FOs are logging ICUS for their PF sectors I hope the captains are being paid accordingly for a supervisory pilot roll as they will have to meet the requirements of 61.095 - 2(b). Do the said captains also fill out an ICUS report on the FO at the completion of flight as well?

This discussion makes me wonder if that in operations that have SOs if the SO logs any ICUS when they occupy a control seat and are PF.