PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (UK rules) Microlights on a LAPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 21:13
PeteMonty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Whopity!

Originally Posted by Whopity
Lots of bad advice came out, but if you held a UK PPL there is nothing to stop you getting it back again
Yes but again it would mean taking a test this would be revalidation as opposed to renewal) AND that test being in an SEP so something that our theoretical microlight only pilot is unlikely to be keen to do. Could easily cost such a person £5k to do the required training to get familiar with an SEP type aircraft and up to test standard.

Originally Posted by Whopity
Thats the conclusion you could draw from Art 150 however;Whilst the LAPL does not include an aircraft rating, its validity is maintained by experience, so if you do not fulfill the requirements of FCL.140A then the licence ceases to be valid.
Yes this was the one thing that I too thought could de-rail my cunning workaround!

I'd like to stress that no-one should go along with my theoretical idea without first getting confirmation from the CAA that this is legal! Don't just do it cos some guy on pprune suggested it!

If I find the time next week I might write to the CAA to try and pin them down to a yay or nay on it. Would be a first if they did as the best I have ever had out of them in the past is "if you think you would be able to stand by it in court go for it". Really helpful when they are the regulators (or at least national interpreters of the EASA regs) and it will be THEM opposite me in said hypothetical court case! Even just a straight no is more helpful than that kind of woolly ambiguity!