PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 21:13
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Global Aviator

The industry has changed due to demand. Correct me if I’m wrong but in the past when you got into QF if you didn’t have 500 multi command you had to go and get it! Not be given it.......
No, the 500hrs multi command requirement is for low capacity RPT. High capacity RPT is just an ATPL. There have been plenty of captains flying in a Australia who had no command hours since CPL training.

Originally Posted by Global Aviator
Am I to harsh? But then again we are flying highly automated sophisticated machines now, takes away a lot of the skill level. Oh hang on what if Sully hadn’t the past experience or Capt Gimli Glider... Oh SFO you ask, hangon it was severe CAVOK.
So did the BA crew who glided a jet to landing in Heathrow who got their first jobs in jets need past non jet experience to land it safely? Or if the Gimli Captain’s prior gliding experience is what made the difference why isn’t that a mandatory part of the ATPL syllabus? Or the countless crews with prior experience who’ve made mistakes that have cost lives, do we count that against them? Like the SFO case, wasn’t the instructor, the guy who was supposed to be in command of the situation, an experienced ex-Korean air force pilot?