PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met office GA products severely lacking
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 13:47
JOE-FBS

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When this awful redesign was being trialled (two years ago?), I not only moaned along with many forumites in The Other Place, I also sent my moans to the Met' Office. Consequently, I was invited to have a conference call with their web developer. This call lasted IIRC about an hour and a half. The developer was quite open that he knew nothing about aviation and the idea that people might be operating in the field with a very low data rate clearly did compute (deliberate pun, sorry) with him. Anyway, half of my Friday afternoon was wasted and nothing of any significance changed. Essentially, since the change I have used SkyDemon to access weather. Which probably works for the Met' Office since SkyDemon probably has to pay directly for the service and I only pay indirectly as a UK tax payer. They have advertising on the Met' Office site FFS. Still, what can we expect, large segments of the UK have spent the large parts of the last forty years voting for parties (Conservatives and New Labour) that want to destroy public services so everything ends up "in the market". It's also why our ATC system is so screwed, I imagine the USA will be the same in a few years if they really do privatise ATC there.

..and breathe!