PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA reveals 10 abreast 777
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2018, 15:04
wowzz

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Doors to Automatic
Teachme - I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

I think BA is missing a bit of a trick personally. I think they could rationalise into two classes, business and economy but with the following product differentials:

1. A bargain basement economy class - 10 abreast 777 seating, with everything extra to the fare.

2. An enchanced economy with comfortable wide seats with better pitch and everything included, although not quite as spacious as WTP. A few rows of extra leg-room seats pre-bookable at a slight premium.

3. A budget Club Class with all the trimmings but with standard seats with a good recline. Slightly improved on current WTP seats.Maybe something along the lines of the Norwegian Premium seat on their 787s.

4. An enhanced Club Class with lie-flat beds but more spacious than current Club World.

This would rationalise the products, make them uniform across the fleet and stations and do away with WTP and First, with cost savings. Leisure aircraft (such as LGW-based 777s) could lose the enchanced Club cabin for a greater number of basic economy seats.

I really do think this would be a good way forward for the airline and enable it to get a lot more seats into each aircraft with little hit on yield. By my calculations they could get an extra 50-60 seats onto a 777-300ER and 40-50 onto a 787-9.
Looks like Virgin might be listening, as they have announced a 3 tier economy configuration, with economy 'delight' seating, offering a 34" pitch, but still in the economy cabin.