PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2018, 23:15
Popgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still no REAL shortage in Oz

Originally Posted by DeltaT

I really would like to ram that down the throats of downunder airlines!
This so eloquently states what I was trying to say before, but from an airline persepctive this time.
If we really had a shortage downunder then you would see a change in the hiring methods/'standards'
Agreed. I know of several competent, qualified, current, professional aviators that have been turned down recently by QF, JQ and VA. Most of these guys and gals have been passing sim/route checks and successfully piloting airline aircraft for over 20 years.

There is no real shortage in Australia when you have a situation in which HR is able to be choosy to the point of selecting one qualified aviator over another based on psychometric tests, behavioural interviews or other subjective soft skills.

I understand that with non-qualified candidates (ie cadets) this type of testing may be the best guide a company has to predict future success. But with an experienced aviator that has already been doing the same job for 20 years!?!?

No, that’s no shortage. Not in this country.

I agree with the advice to POQ to the USA if your personal situation allows it. It will open your eyes to a massive, interesting, challenging and fun industry full of opportunities and experiences that are not available to you in the sheltered backwater of Australian aviation.

If it isn’t happening as you want it to here...make it happen over there.

Best of luck.

PG