PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2018, 09:10
IBE8720

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
^^^ maybe a bit harsh, I encourage my FO’s to feel free to assist or suggest if they think I am missing something, to me a PICUS sector is you allow the FO to carry out the normal P1duties such as the Cabin Crew Briefing, Techlog Review, Fuel Check / Decisions and any liaising with the Engineers..... all under my supervision of course and with appropiate guidance where necessary, otherwise how do they learn?
They learn by showing initiative and being proactive. The young pilots might need to look up the definition, by doing so, they would be proactive.
ICUS is a training status, should be nothing more. Turning up to a job interview with 3,000hrs ICUS, is as relevant as having an 3,000hrs in your logbook.
There is a reason airline's specify PIC time when recruiting or upgrading. Otherwise,we should just give every CPL a Command straight out of flying school.

Picking up the Tech Log, consulting on fuel etc is part of everyday life. Appropriate supervision?? Who is to say what is appropriate? A less than reputable pilot in the left seat who shows a flagrant disregard for policy and procedures, but he is a good guy so we take his word as gospel on operational matters.

I came across a pilot the other day who thought he should be given a DEC at an airline becaue he met the requirements with his ICUS time?
F/O's are co-pilot's, not co-captains. It is not a commitee meeting. While during everyday, normal operations, every decision should be run by both pilots for input and contribution, when the Captain needs to make a decision, they should be free to make that decision without fear and hesitation of hurting the other pilot's feelings and offending his sensibilities.

If that is too harsh, then when I become a Captain, I would appreciate it if my airline changes it's policy and absolves me of any responsibilty in the event my First Officer makes an error or gets me involved in a violation.

Heavy wears the Crown,the position should be respected by those in it, and those aspiring to it.

(this post makes no reference to the calibre of pilot or training in any airline. just an opinion of the industry)

Last edited by IBE8720; 7th Mar 2018 at 09:25.