PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did US fighters not use cannon in WW2?
Old 7th Mar 2018, 06:13
SnowFella

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cargosales
And yet one of the most scary / educating / informative experiences of my life was as a 16 yr old [err yes, MANY years ago] crossing a 1km wide plain, along with the other 150 lads on that ex .... when 3 x A-10s turned up.

Whichever way we looked or faced there was always one threatening us, and another turning hard to engage. Our 7.62 rounds would probably just have bounced off anyway, had we even managed to hit it (because you were almost too busy looking for No.3 who was [panto time: Behind You!!)

Hmm, that told me a lot about numbers of a/c and how troops on the ground can or do react to one a/c or more than one a/c. And how many directions a person can look in at any one time..

CS
Mine came as the subject of 3 circling Apaches having been stopped by protesters near Srebrenik, BiH back in the late 90's.
Young and dumb (and firmly believing our "freedom of movement") I didn't take the hint of a long line of parked up cars and blew right past them just to get stopped a km further down the road by hundreds of peaceful protesters blocking off the road.
3 Swedes (2 logistics and our female chaplain) in one truck. No end of talking could get us trough but just as we were about to do a 59 point turn and head back a US convoy pulled up on our arse.
Lots more talking and hand waving took place and during that someone must of called it in and the Apaches appeared.

Eventually it took the better part of an hour to get the whole gaggle turned around and ending up with a detour back to Brčko, Čelić, Lopare and Tuzla to finally get us back on base.

Oh the memories!