PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 6th Mar 2018, 21:44
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
OMS:-
was that the "golden era" of which Tuc et al speak?
The "Golden Period", refers to the Haddon-Cave Report in which he bizarrely labelled the early 90s thus, when they were in fact the very years that the UK Military Air Safety System was being plundered, sabotaged, and rendered utterly dysfunctional by certain RAF VSOs. He then misleadingly shifted the deterioration of airworthiness provision to later years. Now how might he have got hold of that idea, when he had evidence before him as to the chronological sequence of this scandal? That the MAA uses the Haddon-Cave Report as its foundation says it all. Isn't there a parable about houses and sand?

Engines, I acknowledge the woeful behaviour of the RAF from top to bottom as highlighted by the SI and yourself in this fatal tragedy. Your pride in your own Service is understandable and commendable, but might I gently point out that the crisis in UK Military Airworthiness involves all UK Military Aircraft of whatever Service?

One of the threads on this very forum concerns the loss of seven RN aircrew in a mid-air collision between two Sea King "baggers" in poor visibility. They were fitted improperly with HISLs which had simply replaced the existing ACLs without trial, contrary to regulations. In the very conditions they were flying in the forward HISLs caused pilot glare and it was the practice therefore to switch them off, contrary to regulations. I only instance this as yet another example of when the lower orders are faced with a fait accompli from above then they have to make do as best they might. The scoundrels are those who place them in that position. The scoundrels in this scandal were RAF VSOs. Let us keep our eyes on that particular ball!