PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2018, 17:25
stormfury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephfeatherweight
Yeah, but you don’t know, on that particular day, if the HR numpties are looking for a leader, or a follower!... Storm fury, what was DeltaT supposed to do?!?
I thought DeltaT’s intial post made it pretty clear what they were looking for on that particular day.
Originally Posted by DeltaT
they wanted to see me lead the group in the team exercise.
I completely agree pilotchute, leadership is learnt over many years but that does not mean said company shouldn’t expect to see some basic leadership skills during an FO interview - I understand cabin crew recruitment also do this type of activity.

The fact that DeltaT was actually at the interview demonstrates he likely had all the knowledge and attributes to get through such a scenario (pending the odd HR wowser).

Unsing the fundamentals, aviate navigate - communicate, should be enough to demonstrate leadership in whatever desert crash survival / fix Apollo 13 / rebuild the Hindenburg scenario they use that day.

Aviate - this is the primary task (whatever your team has been asked to do). Determine what actions are needed to get from A to B - you are usually told what they want you to get the team to do. In determining the plan, ask your teammates for suggestions or input, they may have done something similar or be well versed in the task (CRM?).

Navigate - your team now has a plan, your job is to direct their collective actions so they conform to the agreed plan. If you note things going awry, voice this (as the assigned leader) and get them back on track.

Communicate - detail the requirements of the task to the team, get their input, outline the plan (chronologically, in steps) then communicate to the team when you identify things are proceeding as planned or if you need them to tweak them to achieve the required task.

Given I have no idea on what the actual scenario or requirements were, this is merely my take on it with minimal information (dangerous, I know). Maybe HR were looking for some sort of ‘Leonidas at Thermopylae’ type leadership but from my experience with these types of excercises the panel is looking for a basic plan that is communicated, commenced and monitored by the assigned leader.

Just my $0.02