PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 6th Mar 2018, 16:24
Slow Biker

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OMS and dragartist mention that the head of EA was a Wg Cdr stacker with no input to eng matters, these were raised to the Gp Capt. So, when the Gp Capt retired and was replaced by a CS with no eng LOD/LOA and no apparent interest, finance came first, higher level signatures were referred a Gp Capt in another PT. Then the Sqn Ldr head of AAES was posted and eventually replaced by another CS with no seat or indeed aircraft experience. Follow that up with the retirement of our PDS Officer, with his duties, LTC etc, handed over to the DOs. Add the distractions: preparing the case for seat maintenance remaining with the MoD rather than accepting a bid from MBA; constant efficiency and money saving drives and fending off the Army's bid to manage all explosive items, one can see where we are heading. I am not trying to justify anything, just adding to the plot.
Engines remarks that in his area a seat would be removed for any detailed work and swapped with a S item; surely that is the only way to do it. How on earth were RAFAT 1st line allowed to carry out a detailed RTI in situ.
Engines really hits the mark regarding knowledge and understanding of a safety critical system. A FJ sqn facing a summer of display detachments elected to 'train' an airframe snco to carry out Independent Checks on AAES, rather than send a wpns snco with the det. I have nothing against riggers, but a local training course would not imbue the individual with the depth of understanding needed to take on the responsibility of AAES Independent Checks. Our argument was dismissed. But on the same visit my faith in snco armourers was shaken. In discussion about independents with a wpns snco he ventured that to 'make sure it's done properly' he disconnects the PEC and reconnects it himself. He would not accept that by doing so he would invalidate the signatures of both the tradesman and the supervisor as well as his own. I could weep.
Phew, I've got that off my chest, it has been festering for a while. Now I can go back to working my way through the fascinating Pilots' Brevet thread.